A number of American Kennel Club (AKC) groups provide small dogs by breed so that every “small dog lover” can find a personality, coat type, and activity level to his or her liking.
The term “small dog” does not just describe a lapdog. Many small dogs are feisty and tough. Little dogs don’t usually need to work off tons of energy, so they adapt well to life in an apartment. As mentioned, not all small dogs exist as lap warmers. Dachshunds and terriers can do well living the country life, running around on a farm.
If you have little kids, your small dog need a space away from them. You might even consider a different breed, since some toy breeds are far too delicate to compete in a boisterous young family. Such a dog might do better in a quieter environment with and older person.
People love the look of a small dog. It’s so cute and precious, but don’t be mistaken. Toy breeds can misbehave and bark as much as their larger counterparts. The noise they make fills the room.
It’s important to remember that their tiny size means you need to protect them from injury.
- BRUSSELS GRIFFON: Alert, curious, and loyal
- CAVALIER KING CHARLES SPANIEL: Affectionate, graceful, and gentle
- CHIHUAHUA: Graceful, charming, and sassy
- CHINESE CRESTED: Lively, alert, and affectionate
- DACHSHUND: Go look up the word “spunky”
- ENGLISH TOY SPANIEL: A true spaniel—affectionate, alert, and merry
- HAVANESE: Outgoing, funny, & intelligent
- ITALIAN GREYHOUND: Sensitive and alert, playful, highly affectionate
- JAPANESE CHIN: A true aristocrat: charming and loving with those they favor, nobly reserved with strangers
- MALTESE: Gentle, playful, affectionate; fearless in a charming toy-dog way
- MINIATURE PINSCHER: Proud, fearless, and fun-loving, Min Pins are a true “personality breed”
- NORFOLK TERRIER: Alert, fearless, fun-loving, and more sociable than the usual terrier
- NORWICH TERRIER: Alert, curious, affectionate, gregarious, loyal
- PAPILLON: Happy, alert, friendly
- PEKINGESE: Affectionate, loyal, regal in manner
- POMERANIAN: Lively, bold, and inquisitive—a prototypical “personality breed”
- PUG: Even-tempered, charming, mischievous and loving
- SCHIPPERKE: Alert, curious, confident; intense, but with a dash of mischief and impudence
- SHIH TZU: Outgoing, affectionate, playful and charming
- SILKY TERRIER: Friendly, vivacious, cheeky; in all ways a true terrier
- TOY FOX TERRIER: Outgoing and friendly, yet fiercely loyal to their families
- MANCHESTER TERRIER: Spirited, bright, keenly observant; dead loyal, in an independent terrier way
- POODLE: Proud, active and very smart
- YORKSHIRE TERRIER: Sprightly, tomboyish, and affectionate